The organization of new higher education institutions, including the Kursk Polytechnic Institute, was provided by the resolution of the Central Committee of the CPSU and the RSFSR Council of Ministers "on measures for further development of higher and secondary special education, improve training and use of experts" №533 dated 9 may 1963
Pursuant to the Decree of the RSFSR Council of Ministers dated 15 June 1963 No. 757 and in accordance with the decree of the Minister of higher and secondary special education of the RSFSR dated February 20, 1964 No. 150 in Kursk was organized by the Polytechnic Institute.
The newly established Institute was to provide qualified personnel for the chemical, instrument-making, machine-building and other industries rapidly developing industry.
According to the order of June 11, 1964, the KPI started to work the first selection Committee, the Chairman of which was the rector of M. T. Pechenev, and the Executive Secretary - V. N. Marinina.
The first admission to full-time education was defined by the Institute of 150 people in two specialties: technology of engineering, machine tools and tools - 100 people, the technology of chemical fibers - 50 people.
The evening training was established the same specialty and the same amount. The plan of admission of first year students on distance learning was established in the amount of 175 students, in addition to 617 students were taken from VSPI 2 and 3 courses. Thus, the Institute began work, with total number of students 1092 human.
The Ministry of Visso of the RSFSR, it was planned that over time in the CPI the contingent of students will reach 4500 people and students of evening and distance learning will exceed 6000.
KPI is located in a new building on Chelyuskintsev street, 19, near which in 1965 began construction of the laboratory building. At the same time the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR approved the project of erecting a College town. It was supposed to place in the area of the former airfield DOSAAF in Vygonnaya street. Construction was planned to begin in 1968, the Town was to consist of 8-storey main academic building, laboratory buildings, dormitories for 1200 seats, a sports complex, student cafeteria and other buildings.
From 1964 to 1969 Kursk Polytechnic Institute is headed by Pechenev Mikhail Tikhonovich
From 1969 to 1971. Kursk Polytechnic Institute is headed by associate Professor, candidate of technical Sciences Liutarevich Konstantin Vladimirovich
From 1971 to 1986, Kursk Polytechnic Institute is headed by candidate of technical Sciences associate Professor Kovalenok Eugene Vikentyevich.
In 1986, rector of the Institute was appointed Ph. D., associate Professor Theodore N. Ryzhkov. Ryzhkov F. N. – rector of Kyiv Polytechnic Institute from 1986 to 2002.
Since 2002 KurskSTU was headed by doctor of physico-mathematical Sciences, Professor Ivan Safonovich Zakharov - rector of KurskSTU from 2002 to 2008.
In 2008, the University's rector was appointed doctor of technical Sciences, Professor, laureate of the government prize of the Russian Federation in the field of science and technology Sergey G. Emelyanov.